Try my Best Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for soft, chewy, delicious chocolate chip cookies. These homemade cookies are made with salted brown butter, brown sugar, two kinds of chocolate, my go-to self-rising flour, and sprinkled with sea salt flakes for an incredible bakery-style cookie you’ll absolutely love!
- 2 1/2 cups (or 300 grams by weight) self-rising flour*
- 2 sticks salted butter (or unsalted butter + 1 tsp sea salt)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup good quality milk chocolate bar, chopped (or milk chocolate chips)
- Flaky sea salt, sprinkled on top after baking
- First begin melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, bring the butter to a boil and stir continuously with a spatula until the butter starts to foam up and becomes a deep amber/copper color with tiny browned bits. (This usually takes 3-4 minutes)
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Once butter has cooled, pour it into a large mixing bowl. Next, add in granulated sugar, light brown sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. If using unsalted butter, add in your sea salt. Use an electric hand mixer and mix until creamy and smooth. Add in room temperature eggs and mix until combined.
- Begin adding in flour in increments and use electric hand mixer to mix until just combined. When adding in the last batch of flour, stop mixing with the electric mixer while some of the flour is still showing.
- Add in chocolate chips and chopped chocolate and use a spatula to stir together by hand until evenly combined.
- Cover and chill cookie dough for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight (preferred).
- Once dough has fully chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and use a small or medium cookie scoop and scoop out cookie dough evenly spaced apart onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. If desired, add additional chocolate chips/chunks on top of your cookie dough balls.
- Bake in the oven for 10-14 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.
- Let cookies cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- If desired, use a large cookie cutter to re-shape cookies to a perfect round shape. (optional)
- Enjoy your delicious browned butter chocolate chip cookies!
- If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can use 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt.
- Leftover brown butter chocolate chip cookies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Cookies will remain fresh for up to 1 week.
Keywords: browned butter chocolate chip cookies, salted browned butter chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies with browned butter, browned butter chocolate chip cookies with sea salt, gourmet chocolate chip cookies, bakery style chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies with self rising flour, self rising flour cookies