Try this Easy Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake this Fall baking season for a beautiful and delicious cake everyone will love! It features a homemade vanilla cake topped with a delicious caramel sauce, fresh sliced apples, and baked upside down to perfection.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2–3 medium apples, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup canola oil (or a neutral flavored oil)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and lightly spray the bottom of a 9×3 round cake pan with non stick spray. Place parchment paper that has been cut to size in the bottom of the pan and spray again with non-stick spray. Set aside and begin preparing your apples, caramel sauce, and cake.
- Clean, peel, and slice 2-3 medium apples into 1/2 inch slices and set aside. I personally used 1 granny smith and 1 red delicious apple for a balanced flavor.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat until melted. Add in brown sugar and stir until the mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat and add in 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Stir and pour mixture into the parchment paper lined cake pan. Tilt the pan to cover the entire bottom of the pan.
- Next arrange the apple slices on top of the caramel sauce, overlapping if desired.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Add in baking powder and salt and whisk to combine. Using a sifter, add in the all-purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, and gently fold until combined. Lastly, add in the oil and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is a light golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place cake pan onto a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Once cooled, place the serving plate or platter on top of the pan and quickly turn upside down. Let the cake naturally fall out of the pan before removing. If you sprayed your pan well enough you shouldn’t have any issues, but if you do you can always tap the outside of the pan with a butter knife to get the cake to release.
- Once you remove the pan, remove any extra caramel sauce from the pan and drizzle on top of your cake. It will look so beautiful and delicious!
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature and if desired, top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Store leftover cake covered at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Keywords: caramel apple upside down cake, apple upside down cake, caramel apple cake, easy apple upside down cake, easy caramel apple upside down cake, homemade apple cake