My delicious, homemade cheddar garlic biscuits are even better than Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits and easy to make with self rising flour!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 stick butter, frozen & grated (I used unsalted)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for the tops
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or buttermilk, recommended)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp oil (for seasoning cast iron skillet)
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- First, place a large mixing bowl, box grater, and butter in the freezer for 15-30 minutes prior to making biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet into the oven to preheat.
- Place 2 cups of self rising flour in a large, chilled mixing bowl. Add garlic powder and old bay seasoning and whisk until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Next, use a box grater and grate your frozen butter. You can also use a pastry cutter if you don’t have a box grater.
- Add your butter into your flour mixture and stir until combined. Next stir in your shredded cheddar cheese.
- Lastly, pour in all but a little bit of your milk and stir until JUST combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. See note below*
- Carefully remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and add 1 tbsp oil to evenly coat the pan on the bottom and sides.
- Use a large cookie scoop and scoop out 6 large biscuits into your oiled cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with more shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes and 5 minutes before biscuits are finished, melt 2 tbsp butter and combine with garlic powder and parsley.
- After removing the biscuits from the oven, use a pastry brush and immediately brush the tops with the garlic, butter, and parsley mixture.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- *Your mixture should be just barely wet, so depending on how it looks you may or may not need the full 3/4 cup of milk. If for some reason your biscuit dough is really wet, you can always add a little bit of flour to get it to the right consistency.
How to Store/Reheat Leftover Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
These Cheddar Garlic Biscuits are best enjoyed fresh, however you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place on a baking sheet in a 325 degree oven for 8 minutes or place individual biscuits in the microwave and heat for 15-30 seconds at a time until warm.
Keywords: cheddar garlic biscuits, cheddar bay biscuits, copycat red lobster biscuits, red lobster biscuits, red lobster cheddar bay biscuits, easy cheddar garlic biscuits, cheesy garlic biscuits, cheddar garlic drop biscuits, cheesy garlic drop biscuits, garlic cheese biscuits self rising flour, self rising flour biscuits