This Easy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole without soup features a creamy homemade cheese sauce and a toasted butter cracker topping for a delicious and simple meal in under 30 minutes!
- 8 oz. (2 cups) pasta noodles cooked 1-2 minutes less al dente (I used rotini)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup butter crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium preferred)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion & herb seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 5 oz. cans tuna (you can use either chunk light in water or solid albacore in water)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- First melt 1 tbsp unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add in crushed club crackers. Stir together and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted and golden. Remove from heat and transfer to a separate bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare noodles in a separate pot on the stovetop, cooking for 1-2 minutes less than al dente.
- Melt remaining butter in the same saucepan as before over medium heat.
- Add in the flour a little at a time and whisk until you form a light brown roux.
- Next, add the milk in slowly, whisking in between until all the milk has been added. Add the chicken broth and seasonings and whisk until combined
- Let the mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in half of the shredded cheddar cheese, drained tuna, and cooked noodles until evenly combined.
- Next, pour in the pasta mixture into a 12 inch casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese and toasted butter crackers.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Refrigerator – Refrigerate leftover tuna noodle casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer – Store in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag and freeze up to 3 months. Once ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and re-heat in the oven.
Reheat – Re-heat leftovers in the microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time until warm.
Keywords: easy cheesy tuna noodle casserole, easy tuna noodle casserole, cheesy tuna noodle casserole, tuna noodle casserole without soup, tuna noodle casserole no soup, homemade cheesy tuna noodle caserole, easy tuna casserole