Try my Easy White Chicken Enchilada Casserole for a delicious, under 30-minute dinner! These white chicken enchiladas are so good and so easy to make with flour tortillas, seasoned shredded chicken breast, canned green chiles, Monterey Jack cheese, and a simple white enchilada sauce with sour cream.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
- 8 medium-large flour tortilla shells (I like to use fajita size)
White Enchilada Sauce
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth (low sodium, preferred)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup room temperature sour cream (or plain non-fat Greek yogurt)
- 4 oz can diced green chiles (mild or hot, depending on preference)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the shredded cooked chicken breast in a mixing bowl and combine with seasonings to include cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and ground black pepper. Add in 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese and stir until evenly combined.
- Next, fill each flour tortilla with 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll the tortilla up and place into the prepared baking dish seam side down. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled, rolled, and placed in the casserole dish. Depending on what size tortilla shells you use you will have enough to fill 6-8 tortillas. (I prefer using fajita size tortilla shells for 8 enchiladas total)
- Next, prepare your white sauce by melting butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute until it thickens. Add in chicken broth, salt, and cumin, and whisk until mixture is smooth. Continue cooking until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Add in room temperature sour cream and green chiles and stir until combined. Lastly add in shredded Monterey Jack cheese and stir until sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Pour sauce evenly over the prepared tortilla shells and top with remaining shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tops of the enchiladas are a light golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving and top with fresh herbs and/or desired toppings.
How to Store Leftover White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Store leftover chicken enchiladas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Re-heat White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Re-heat individual servings in the microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute at a time until heated.
Keywords: white chicken enchilada casserole, white chicken enchiladas, easy white chicken enchiladas, easy white chicken enchilada casserole, chicken enchiladas with white sauce, white sauce enchiladas, Mexican chicken casserole