Learn how to make sausage balls without bisquick with my simple recipe using self rising flour and cream cheese. These sausage balls from scratch are so easy and delicious!
- 1/2 lb mild ground sausage
- 1/2 lb hot ground sausage
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I recommend full fat or 1/3 fat)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, combine ground sausage, softened cream cheese, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worchestershire sauce. Use a fork and mix together until evenly combined.
- Next, add in self-rising flour 1/2 cup at a time until combined. I typically start out using a fork, but find it’s easier to use your hands.
- Lastly, add in shredded cheddar cheese and mix with your hands until evenly incorporated.
- Next, begin forming 1 1/2 tablespoon size balls with your hands and place evenly spaced apart on your parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 18-24 minutes or until sausage balls are a light golden brown. Enjoy!
- How to store: Leftover sausage balls should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat leftovers: For best results, I recommend baking in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave individual servings for 30 seconds at a time until warm, but make sure you don’t over heat it as it will make them tough/dry.
How to Freeze Baked Sausage Balls (my preferred method)
- Prep, roll, and bake sausage balls as directed. Cool completely and transfer to a freezer safe bag or container, adding parchment paper or wax paper in between layers to prevent sticking. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Once ready to eat, thaw the sausage balls over-night in the fridge and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes, or until fully warm.
How to Freeze Unbaked Sausage Balls
- Prep and roll sausage balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and flash-freeze for 1 hour, before transferring to a freezer safe bag or freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Once ready to bake, remove from the freezer while your oven preheats and bake as directed. *Note that frozen sausage balls may need a few extra minutes to bake.
Keywords: sausage balls without bisquick, sausage balls no bisquick, sausage balls with flour, sausage balls with self rising flour, sausage balls from scratch, sausage balls with flour and cream cheese, cream cheese sausage balls, sausage balls, easy sausage balls, sausage balls with cream cheese, sausage balls recipe, cheesy sausage balls