Try my Best Sock It To Me Cake Recipe made simple with a delicious, butter golden yellow cake mix, a cinnamon, brown sugar, and nut streusel, and glaze icing on top. This Sock It To Me Bundt Cake is the perfect, easy cake for any occasion!
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix, reserve 2 tbsp for streusel
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or 5 1/3 tbsp butter, melted and cooled)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp dry cake mix
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2–4 tbsp milk (for thicker glaze, start with 1 1/2 tbsp and add more as needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp nuts, roughly chopped (walnuts or pecans)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and liberally spray your Bundt cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix (minus 2 tbsp reserved for streusel), sour cream, oil (or melted butter), sugar, eggs, vanilla, and water and mix together with an electric hand mixer for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour 2/3 of the cake batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare your streusel by combining 2 tbsp dry cake mix, chopped nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until fully combined. Sprinkle evenly on top of the cake batter, and then top with the remaining cake batter until covered.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire cooling rack, then flip/transfer to the cake plate you will serve it on.
- Let the cake cool for an additional 20 minutes (30 minutes total) before glazing.
- To make the glaze, combine 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1.5 – 4 tablespoons of milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Start by adding 1 1/2 tablespoon of milk and add additional tablespoons to reach desired glaze consistency. For a thicker, white glaze, use 1 1/2- 2 tablespoons of milk. For a thinner drizzle-like glaze that soaks into the cake, use 3-4 tablespoons of milk.
- Spoon glaze on top of the cake and top with chopped nuts, if desired. Slice and enjoy!
Storing Instructions: Store cake covered at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the fridge for 1 week. If desired, reheat cake slices in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to make them taste like they just came out of the oven.
Freezing Instructions: Slices of sock it to me cake can be frozen in a freezer safe bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Once ready to eat, thaw to room temperature and re-heat as desired.
Tips for Making The Best Sock It To Me Cake
Bake at the lowest recommended time to avoid overbaking your cake. Overbaking = dry cake, which nobody loves. Check the middle part of the cake with a toothpick, and if there isn’t any wet batter, it’s done.
Use this affordable nut chopper for quickly chopping up your walnuts or pecans.
For a mess-free clean up, cut pieces of parchment paper and place them underneath, all around your sock it to me cake. This will catch any glaze drips that fall off the side of your cake, and you can easily spoon any excess back up on your cake. If you happen to forget this step (like I did in the video), you can always use a dampened paper towel to clean up the edges around the cake base.
Wait at least 30 minutes before glazing your cake, otherwise the glaze will melt right off it. It’ll still taste delicious, but it won’t look as pretty.
For a thicker, white glaze, use a ratio of less milk and more powdered sugar. For a thinner drizzle-like glaze that soaks into the cake, use more milk. I recommend adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time to your powdered sugar, stirring, and adding as needed until you reach the desired consistency.
Keywords: sock it to me cake, easy sock it to me cake, best sock it to me cake, sock it to me cake recipe, sock it to me cake with cake mix, sock it to me bundt cake, bundt cake recipe, cake mix recipe, easy bundt cake