This Easy Sour Cream Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake features a soft and moist cake, fresh diced apples, cinnamon streusel topping, and a sweet powdered sugar glaze. This apple coffee cake is so delicious and easy made with a doctored up boxed cake mix.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–3 apples, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon/brown sugar mixture below
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 9 cinnamon graham cracker sheets, crumbled into small pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13 cake pan or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, peel, slice, and dice your apples (I recommend this amazing peeler/slicer). Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until fully combined. Take 2 tbsp and add it to evenly coat the diced apples. Set apple mixture aside.
- To make your streusel topping, melt your butter in a microwave safe bowl and add to the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Add in the crumbled graham cracker sheets and stir with a fork until combined.
- To prepare your cake batter, combine sour cream, applesauce, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth and combined. Next add in the yellow cake mix and mix with an electric mixer until combined.
- Add in the diced apples and stir by hand until evenly incorporated. Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a non-stick spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the top of the cake with the streusel and bake in the oven for 32-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before glazing.
- While cake is cooling, prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl. If glaze is too thick, you can add additional milk in increments of 1 tsp until desired consistency is reached. Or if it is too thin, you can always add a little more powdered sugar.
- Once cake has cooled for 15 minutes, drizzle the powdered sugar glaze over the top.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Apple Coffee Cake Storage Instructions
To Store: Leftover apple cinnamon coffee cake should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or covered with aluminum foil for up to 5 days. Cake can be ate at room temp or slightly warmed in microwave for 20-30 seconds.
To Freeze: Freeze individual slices wrapped in saran wrap in a freezer safe bag for up to 1 month. Once ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge, and re-heat in the microwave as desired.
Keywords: apple cinnamon coffee cake, easy apple coffee cake, apple coffee cake, cinnamon apple cake, coffee cake, sour cream apple coffee cake, sour cream coffee cake, apple cake, apple cake with streusel, apple cake with cake mix, cake mix coffee cake