5 Tips for Rocking the Athleisure Trend
Happy Wednesday ladies! Raise your hand up real quick if you like looking good for running errands but don’t always want to spend a ton of time getting dressed in the mornings? (Raises hand up high)
Although I love getting dressed up in dresses and skirts when I want to look “fancy”, most days I’m all about low-maintenance looks that don’t require a ton of time or effort.
Super soft tees, leggings, sweatshirts, and sneakers are pretty much my jam on the regular, and that’s where the amazing athleisure trend comes into play.
What is Athleisure?
Although athleisure is defined in the dictionary as casual clothing that can be worn for both working out and everyday wear, it’s basically the perfect balance between functional and fashionable and it was made for all us busy gals out there.
In case you’ve been wanting to try out some athleisure looks yourself, I’m sharing two, affordable styled looks from T.J. Maxx today plus my 5 tips for rocking the athleisure trend that will have you looking comfy+chic in no time!
5 Tips for Rocking the Athleisure Trend
1. Find Cute, Functional Pieces- Athleisure is NOT an excuse for you to pull out that ratty tee you always wear to do chores around the house. Instead it’s all about mixing function with fashion and finding those pieces in your wardrobe that can double as comfy and chic. Save the tired, worn out clothing for another time and put your best sporty pieces forward.
(Outfit Details: Top- T.J. Maxx (c/o), Leggings- T.J. Maxx (c/o), Plaid Top- Wal-mart, Hat- T.J. Maxx (c/o), Sneakers- Burkes Outlet)
I simply adore this soft pink pocket tee I found at T.J. Maxx. Unlike a plain tee, this shirt has a unique braided rope neckline, which makes it perfect for pairing with casual leggings like these adorable distressed ones I also found at T.J. Maxx for under $8! You simply can’t beat that price and they’re so incredibly comfy!
2. Go for Neutrals– When choosing pieces for your athleisure outfits, aim for neutral colors like black, gray, white, and tan, which are versatile and can be easily styled multiple ways. Avoid bright colors and patterns that will overwhelm the look, but don’t be afraid to add in a pop of color or a statement tee to let your personality shine through.
(Outfit Details: (T-shirt- Target, Jean Jacket- Belk, Leggings- T.J. Maxx (c/o), Hat- T.J. Maxx (c/o), Sneakers- Burkes Outlet)
Any Mean Girls fans out there? 😉
3. Layers Are Your Friend– This fashion trend is all about the layers, so feel free to mix tanks, tees, jackets, and sweatshirts depending on the season you’re in. I personally love how you can define the level of casualness simply by switching out the layers. Going for super casual? Throw on a zip-up hoodie or plaid button up. Want something a little dressier? Add in a jean or leather jacket for a more pulled together look.
4. Accessorize– You can take an ahtleisure look from bland to amazing simply by accessorizing with the right pieces. Focus on simple, yet functional items like comfy sneakers, sunglasses, hats/beanies, watches, and crossbody bags.
I’ve been really loving the metallic pieces in stores lately, so I just had to pick up this cute hat from T.J. Maxx to pair with my athleisure look. Of course no look is complete without some cute shoes, so white sneakers were the perfect choice for this casual, comfy outfit.
5. Dress for the Occasion– Last but not least, one of the most important rules to keep in mind when rocking the athleisure trend is to remember that it isn’t always appropriate for every occasion. While it’s perfectly acceptable for dropping off your kids at school, running to the grocery store, or heading out for a casual lunch, it’s not going to be appropriate at a wedding, a business meeting, or for date night, unless of course you’re keeping it super casual. 😉
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with T.J. Maxx, a brand I truly love! As always, all opinions are my own.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post on how to rock the athleisure trend and hope you’ll give this trend a try if you haven’t already. What are your thoughts- are you a fan of the athleisure trend? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for stopping by!- Cara