My Best Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, fudgy, and made with just 5 ingredients. These easy cake mix cookies are perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or anytime you’re craving red velvet cake and cookies!
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
Hey everyone! Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday! If you’re anything like me, you’re probably struggling to get back in the swing of things this week, but thankfully these Best Ever Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies will help save the day.
Today’s recipe for Easy Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies is my 4th recipe in my Christmas Cookie Countdown, and it’s one of my personal favorites.
I’ve always loved red velvet anything and when you combine it with white chocolate chips and put into cookie-form, you have yourself the absolute perfect combo.
Plus, the red and white color looks so pretty and festive for Christmas or Valentine’s Day! Check out the full recipe below and be sure and watch my video tutorial over here.
More Cake Mix Recipes:
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
Red velvet is probably my favorite cake flavor in the whole wide world, but before we dive into this recipe let’s cover the basics of red velvet cake.
What does red velvet taste like?
Although many people assume red velvet tastes like cherry or strawberry due to the red color, red velvet cake is actually a chocolate flavor that’s colored with red food coloring.
Another assumption people have is that red velvet and devil’s food cake are the same, but again, that’s false.
What makes red velvet cake taste different?
Red velvet has less cocoa in it than traditional chocolate cakes and has a more mild flavor which is delicious.
Is Red Velvet really sweet?
Red velvet is sweet but not overly sweet like vanilla, and is rich, but not overly rich like many chocolate flavors.
Basically, it’s the perfect choice for people who can’t ever seem to pick between vanilla or chocolate cake.
Red Velvet Cookies – Made with Just 5 Ingredients
Our family loves these easy red velvet cake mix cookies mostly for it’s delicious chocolate flavor, but being the busy gal I am, I love them because they’re seriously one of the easiest cookies you will ever make.
Don’t get me wrong, I love making extravagant cookies too, but sometimes I just want something super easy that doesn’t require me running to the grocery store to pick up 12 ingredients.
These red velvet cookies thankfully only require 5 simple ingredients, and trust me when I promise that from the very first bite you’ll be blown away with the yummy taste!
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients
- Red Velvet Cake Mix – I love Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Red Velvet Cake Mix or Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Red Velvet Cake Mix)
- Oil – Vegetable or Canola
- White Chocolate Chips – The perfect chocolate pairing with red velvet
- Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips – Makes these cookies extra chocolatey and delish!
BEST TOOLS TO MAKE Red Velvet Cake COOKIES:
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatulas
- Electric Hand Mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cookie Scoop Set
- Cookie Sheets
- Pre-Cut Parchment Paper
- Cooling Rack
- Large White Serving Platter
- Cookie Airtight Storage Containers
How to Make The BEST Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies – Helpful Tips
1. Use White Chocolate Chips AND Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
A lot of red velvet cookie recipes out there only add white chocolate chips to their cookie recipes, which will make your cookies taste good.
But if you want to make THE BEST, most incredibly delicious, can’t get enough of cookies EVER, then add them both!
It’s like chocolate heaven in cookie form.
2. Refrigerate Your Dough
One thing to keep in mind when making any type of cake mix cookies is that your dough will be different from regular cookie dough.
Instead of being buttery it will be sticky.
This is why it’s super important to refrigerate your dough before rolling these red velvet cake mix cookies out and baking them.
Not only will it make it easier to work with, but it will really help enhance the flavor and give you a better texture overall.
3. Use Parchment Paper & Cookie Scoop
I recommend using pre-cut parchment paper for easy, mess-free baking! Parchment paper also helps ensure your cookies bake more evenly (aka: no more burnt cookie bottoms)
And because these cookies have super sticky cookie dough, another MUST-HAVE tool for these cookies are these affordable cookie scoops.
I use this set for all my cookie recipes, muffins, cupcakes, etc. and they’re awesome! It makes it SO much easier and less time-consuming than using a regular spoon.
4. Add White Chocolate Chips to the Top
To make your cookies look super pretty, make sure you add 2-3 white chocolate chips to the top of each red velvet cookie before baking.
This little trick works great if you’re trying to impress your guests.
5. Switch Up the Flavor
The fun thing about cake mix cookies is you can easily switch up the flavor of your cake mix and add-ins, depending on your flavor preference.
Below are just a few ideas on how you can switch up this recipe.
Red Velvet Cookies Variations
- Substitute peppermint chips for white chocolate chips
- Add in festive sprinkles for Christmas or Valentine’s Day
- Swap out chocolate chips for m&m’s or your favorite chopped up candy bar
- Leave out the chocolate chips and dip the top of your cookies in a delicious cream cheese glaze
And in case you’re craving something different the next time you make cookies, try one of my other cake mix cookie recipes below!
MORE CAKE MIX COOKIES YOU’LL LOVE:
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies Storage
How to Store: These red velvet cookies can easily be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Can You Freeze Red Velvet Cookies? Yes, you can either freeze the unbaked cookie dough balls for up to 3 months, or freeze baked cookies for up to 1 month in a freezer safe bag.
Bake uncooked cookie dough balls from frozen, adding an additional 1-2 minutes bake time.
To thaw baked cookies, set them on your counter and let come to room temperature before eating.
You can also microwave them for 10-15 seconds to slightly warm them.
Pin Me For Later
The red velvet, white chocolate chips, and semi sweet chocolate chips are so delicious and fudgy and the soft and chewy texture from the cake mix is my favorite.
Serve these up with a tall, cold glass of milk, turn on your favorite Christmas movie (check out my Christmas Movie Countdown here), and you’ll be in the Christmas spirit in no time at all!
Easy to Follow Video Tutorial
These are the BEST red velvet cake mix cookies, perfect for Christmas or Valentine’s Day! These red velvet cookies are soft, chewy, and fudgy delicious made with white chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips.
- 1 15.25–oz. box red velvet cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (plus 2-3 for the top of each cookie)
- 1/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer, mix together the red velvet cake mix, oil, and eggs until combined. Gently fold in the white chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips until evenly combined. The dough will be sticky and thick.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once ready to bake, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into a ball. Place cookies on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and if desired, place 2-3 white chocolate chips on top of each.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and remove from oven. Cookies will still appear slightly soft in the center, but let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and they will bake to perfection.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely or serve warm.
- Enjoy your red velvet cookies with a glass of milk!
Store leftover red velvet cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Keywords: Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies, Red Velvet Cookies, Red Velvet, Red Velvet Cake Cookies, Red Velvet White Chocolate Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Valentine's Cookies, Cake Mix Cookies, Easy Cake Mix Cookies
Other Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Mom’s Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Delicious Peanut Butter Christmas Cookies
- The Best Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Christmas Butter Cookies
- Easy M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies! These red velvet cookies are SO perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or anytime you’re craving red velvet! Are you a red velvet cake lover too? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post