Looking for an easy casserole recipe with egg noodles and ground beef? Try my Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole for an easy, creamy, and delicious dinner recipe this week!
Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole (Easy and Delicious)
These days I’m all about easy dinners that come together quick with just a few simple ingredients, and that’s one reason I love simple casseroles.
Today’s recipe is one of my family’s favorites – Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole and it’s a delicious meal that is so easy to prepare.
This easy ground beef casserole is made with egg noodles, ground beef, tomato spaghetti sauce, simple seasonings, mozzarella cheese, and cheddar cheese, and can even be prepped ahead of time until you’re ready to bake.
If you want to learn how to make my Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole then keep reading below and be sure and check out my step-by-step video tutorial over here.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel for weekly recipe videos!
Why You’ll Love Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole
Here’s just a few of the reasons you’ll absolutely love this delicious ground beef noodle casserole.
- It’s cheesy, creamy, and SO delicious!
- It’s an easy pasta meal that comes together quick with just a few simple ingredients.
- It can easily be prepped ahead in the morning or the night before, and bakes in just 10-15 minutes time!
- Freezer-friendly and great for making for large gatherings.
Ground Beef Noodle Casserole Recipe
Ingredients For Ground Beef Casserole with Noodles:
- Ground Beef – I recommend using a lean ground beef such as 85/15 or 90/10.
- Noodles – I like to use egg noodles for this recipe, but you can also use other types of pasta such as elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, or farfalle, if preferred.
- Minced Garlic
- Seasonings – Onion powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning are my favorite seasonings to use in this dish.
- Spaghetti Sauce – use any kind of spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, or tomato based sauce you love. Our favorite brand is Mezzetti.
- Cheese – You’ll need both shredded mozzarella and shredded cheddar cheese. I recommend grating your own cheese fresh for the best flavor/result.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- Nonstick Skillet
- Saucepan with Strainer Lid
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Box Cheese Grater
Ground Beef Noodle Casserole Tips:
Below you’ll find some of my best tips for preparing the best ground beef and noodle casserole.
- Don’t overcook the noodles: Cook the pasta 1 minute less than al dente. The noodles will still cook in the oven and you want to avoid them becoming mushy from overcooking them.
- Use freshly shredded cheese: I know the pre-shredded cheese is tempting if you’re in a hurry, but it only takes a few minutes to use a block grater and shred your cheese fresh. It tastes WAY better and melts better for a more creamy casserole.
- Add fresh herbs or veggies: If you don’t have picky eaters, feel free to ramp up the flavor with fresh herbs or your favorite veggies. Diced onion, chopped spinach, peppers, or mushrooms would all be delicious additions.
What to serve with: Our family loves pairing this delicious recipe with a side salad, corn, and my homemade cheddar garlic biscuits.
More Casserole Recipes:
Ground Beef Noodle Casserole FAQ’s
What type of pasta works best for ground beef noodle casserole?
Our family really loves egg noodles, but you can also use elbow macaroni, shells, rotini noodles, or mini farfalle.
It’s really personal preference, and most noodle types will work.
Can I add veggies to hamburger noodle casserole?
Yes, this recipe is delicious with your favorite veggies.
Onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, or spinach would all be yummy.
Simply add them in with the ground beef mixture and sauté.
Can ground beef noodle casserole be made in advance?
Yes, this recipe is great for prepping ahead!
Prepare noodles and ground beef mixture as directed, pour in casserole dish, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days in advance.
Wait to add the cheese layer on top until ready to bake, then bake as normal.
How do you store leftover cheesy ground beef noodle casserole?
Cover and store any leftover ground beef casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days total.
You can also transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate, if preferred.
Can I freeze leftover ground beef casserole with noodles?
Yes, that’s one of the reasons I love this dinner recipe so much, is it’s quick, easy, and freezer-friendly!
Let casserole cool completely and place in a freezer safe Ziploc bag or container for up to 3 months.
Let thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave until warm.
What size baking dish works best for ground beef casserole?
You will need a 13×9 casserole baking dish for this recipe.
Ground Beef Noodle Casserole Variations and Substitution Ideas:
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is it’s super customizable and you can easily switch up the flavors, change the noodle type, or add extra ingredients to your liking.
You can even substitute ground beef for ground turkey, ground chicken, or beans for a meatless version.
Here’s just a few other ideas to try:
Italian – Add 1/2 lb Italian sausage, shredded parmesan, and ricotta cheese
Tex-Mex – Flavor the meat with taco seasoning, add beans, peppers, cheddar cheese, and corn chips
Veggie Lover – Add in mushrooms, onions, peppers, corn, chopped spinach, or any other veggie you love to really ramp up the nutrition! Simply add them in and sauté with the ground beef mixture.
How to Make Best Ever Beef Noodle Casserole
Step 1: Cook Ground Beef & Boil Noodles
Start by preparing your egg noodles and boiling them for 1-2 minutes less than al dente. This is so your noodles don’t turn mushy after baking.
Cook your ground beef in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, until fully cooked. Drain away grease and place back in pan.
Step 2: Add Sauce & Seasonings
Next prepare your sauce by adding minced garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to the ground beef and stirring until combined.
Add in spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese, and stir until slightly melted.
Step 3: Pour in Casserole Dish
Next, drain cooked egg noodles and pour into a 9×13 baking casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in the ground beef mixture and stir until evenly combined.
Step 4: Top with Cheese & Bake
Top evenly with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded cheddar cheese, and bake in the oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.
Try my Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole for a delicious, creamy, and easy recipe with egg noodles, ground beef, and tomato sauce. This easy ground beef casserole is the perfect choice for a simple dinner and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes!
- 8 oz uncooked egg noodles (this will be about 3/4 bag of a 12 oz bag)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce (use an extra 1/2 jar if you like it saucier)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare noodles on the stovetop, cooking for 1-2 minutes less than al dente.
- While noodles are cooking, brown the ground beef in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, until fully cooked. Drain away grease and place hamburger meat back in pan.
- Add minced garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and stir until combined.
- Next, stir in spaghetti sauce. If you like your pasta saucier, I recommend adding an additional 1/2 jar.
- Lastly, add in 1/2 cup each of shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese has slightly melted. Remove from heat.
- Drain egg noodles and pour into the prepared casserole dish. Next pour in the ground beef mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Top with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.
Cover and store any leftover ground beef casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days total. You can also transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate, if preferred.
To freeze, let casserole cool completely and place in a freezer safe Ziploc bag or container for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave until warm.
Keywords: ground beef noodle casserole, ground beef noodle casserole recipe, cheesy ground beef noodle casserole, creamy ground beef noodle casserole, ground beef and noodle casserole, ground beef casserole with noodles, ground beef and egg noodle casserole, hamburger and noodle casserole
More Recipes With Egg Noodles and Ground Beef:
More Ground Beef Recipes:
I hope you enjoyed today’s Cheesy Ground Beef Noodle Casserole Recipe! Do you love making casseroles too? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post