Healthy Instant Pot Hamburger Soup (Whole 30)
If your new year goals include eating healthier this year, then I have the perfect, easy and delicious recipe for you today – Healthy Instant Pot Hamburger Soup! Featuring lean ground beef, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and fresh herbs, you’ll love adding this delicious hamburger soup to your winter recipe collection for you and your family.
It’s hearty, flavorful, and a total comfort food, but made delicious and light with healthy, good-for-you ingredients. Not to mention it’s made quick and easy in an Instant Pot (AKA your new best friend!) Oh – and it’s Whole30 approved with no dairy, grains, and no added sugars.
Read Next: Sausage and Egg Whole30 Breakfast Casserole
Healthy Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
I don’t know about you all, but during the colder months I’m all about soups, stews, and comfort foods that warm up the body. And if I can make a healthy and delicious recipe in my Instant Pot or Slow Cooker without a lot of hassle- even better!
If you still haven’t bought an Instant Pot, what are you waiting for? They’re seriously worth every penny and I know you’ll love how it helps make dinner in a flash like I do. (My gorgeous 6 Qt Pioneer Woman Instant Pot is less than $60 right now!)
The best part? You don’t even have to dirty up a ton of dishes and can have a delicious and healthy dinner cooked in under an hour with little to no effort. Plus, the carrots, potatoes, ground beef, and the garlic and herb tomato broth are the perfect flavor combination. Serve this hamburger soup up with a side of green beans or healthy salad and you’re all set!
Tips For Making Your Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
To make this Instant Pot Hamburger Soup an easy, one-pot meal, use a lean ground beef that is 90% or above. This will keep you from having to drain the meat after cooking, and you can sauté your hamburger meat and onions together.
Another tip of mine to make this Instant Pot recipe easier is to buy organic baby carrots to avoid the hassle of chopping up large carrots. They’ll cook up nice and tender so you can always slice them in half when eating them, and are so easy to just rinse and dump in the pot.
For potatoes, I love using red potatoes and I prefer to keep the skin on for flavor and texture. Keeping the skin on also helps cut down on prep work and you just chop them up, rinse, and dump them in.
Once you’ve cooked up your hamburger and onions, stirred in the carrots, potatoes, seasonings, and beef broth, you’ll add a can of diced tomatoes with the sauce, and a can of tomato sauce on top. DO NOT STIR. This will allow all your veggies to cook up nicely and the tomatoes and sauce will integrate into the broth perfectly.
This Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is an easy and healthy soup for when you’re craving a healthier comfort food and is Whole30 and Paleo approved! Make this instant pot soup in under an hour using ground beef, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and fresh herbs and seasonings.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef (90% lean or above)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Small Bag of Baby Carrots
- 6 Medium Red Potatoes, diced into large chunks with skin on
- 3 cups Low Sodium, Organic Beef Broth *
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 16-ounce can low-sodium or no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Turn the instant pot on to the Sauté setting and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Once the instant pot is heated, add the lean ground beef and the onions, and break up the meat into chunks until fully cooked. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired. Do not drain the meat.*
- Next add the baby carrots and diced potatoes, dry seasonings, and beef broth and stir until all ingredients are mixed evenly.
- Dump in the cans of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce on top and do not stir.
- Close the lid and set the steam release knob on the instant pot to the sealing position.
- Cancel the sauté setting and set the pressure cooker to manual and high for 7 minutes. This will take several minutes to come to pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle is finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 15 minutes for the natural release. Then carefully, release the remaining steam manually, by turning the steam release knob to the venting position. Be careful!
- Stir the soup well to incorporate the tomatoes and sauce throughout.
- Serve with a side of green beans and enjoy your delicious and healthy hamburger soup!
- If you’re using lean ground beef (90 or above) it is not necessary to drain the meat. If you opt to use something like 80/20, cook up the ground beef first, drain, then add the onions.
- Make sure you check all the ingredients on your beef broth to ensure Whole30 compliancy. I find mine at my local Sams Club.
- If you’re not on Whole 30, feel free to add in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables with green beans, corn, and peas.
- Celery can be added to this recipe for an extra crunch
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love:
Hope you enjoyed my Healthy Instant Pot Hamburger Soup recipe! Do you love making soups in the winter months too? Let me know what your favorite is below!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post