Try my Delicious and Easy Homemade Stromboli recipe for dinner! It’s made with a simple 2-ingredient pizza dough, and filled with pepperoni, salami, and mozzarella cheese. So yummy and easy to make in under 30 minutes time.
Easy Homemade Stromboli (2-Ingredient Pizza Dough)
Happy Friday, friends! Today’s recipe is one I couldn’t wait to share with you – Easy Homemade Stromboli with 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough.
I have a soft place in my heart for pizza and all things Italian, and this Stromboli has quickly grown to be a popular dinner request in the Owens’ household.
Not only is this Homemade Stromboli recipe SO delicious to make, but it’s insanely easy and you only need a few, simple ingredients to make it!
Keep reading below for the full recipe and head over here to watch my video tutorial!
Make sure you’ve hit that follow button on my Youtube, so that you’re getting notified with my weekly videos. 🙂
Popular Dinner Recipes to Try Next:
Easy Homemade Stromboli Recipe
My Easy Homemade Stromboli starts off with my favorite 2-ingredient pizza dough. It’s way better than canned pizza dough, and we seriously use it for all of our homemade pizzas now.
Best of all this weight watchers pizza dough only takes 5 minutes to prepare and you’ll love how it tastes (and the fact it’s healthier for you)! The texture is soft and chewy on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside.
For the filling, you’ll use Italian salami, pepperoni, and of course lots of Mozzarella cheese. It’s absolutely yummy dipped in warm marinara sauce or ranch and pairs perfectly with a salad.
We love eating it for dinner on the weekends but it could also easily be served as an appetizer for a party or gathering with family and friends.
What Is The Difference Between Stromboli and a Calzone?
Stromboli and calzones are both delicious but they do have some distinct differences, which I’ve included below.
I personally love them both, but Stromboli is my favorite because I find it much easier to make!
- A Stromboli is an Italian-American pinwheel that originated in Philadelphia and is filled with cold cut meats such as pepperoni, salami, and ham, lots of yummy cheese, and marinara sauce.
- A calzone is authentic Italian (first created in Naples, Italy) and is a folded pizza turnover filled with ricotta cheese, mozzarella, tomato sauce, and different meat toppings.
How Do You Make Homemade Stromboli from Scratch?
Homemade Stromboli is super easy to make and bakes up in just 20-25 minutes time! Below I’ve outlined all the steps for making your Stromboli, as well as the recommended tools to use.
- Make Your 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough
- Layer Your Toppings On the Dough
- Roll It Up
- Bake To Golden Perfection
- Serve with Marinara Sauce and Enjoy!
Recommended Tools for Making Stromboli with 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough
- Stand Mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Large Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Pastry Brush
- Serrated Knife
Homemade Stromboli Dough
The first thing to do when making homemade Stromboli is to make your dough.
The great thing about this recipe is how incredibly simple it is to make with my 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough.
There’s no proofing the dough or waiting for anything to rise, and it tastes WAY better than any pizza dough you’ll make from a can.
Simply mix your ingredients together, knead and roll it out, and make your Stromboli!
You can grab the full recipe and tutorial for how to make my 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough (AKA Weight Watcher’s Pizza Dough) over here.
One batch of my pizza dough will make enough to prepare 2 Homemade Stromboli logs.
Pin For Later
Stromboli Filling Ideas
Next, it’s time to pick your fillings that you will layer in your Stromboli logs.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to fillings for your Stromboli. We filled today’s recipe with pepperoni, salami, and cheese, but some of our other favorite combinations include:
- Classic (Pepperoni, Salami, Ham)
- American (Pepperoni & Cheese)
- Sausage and Pepperoni
- Cheese Lover (All your favorite cheeses in one!)
- Ham and Cheese
- Ham and Pineapple (sweet and savory!)
- Veggie Lover (Peppers, Onions, Spinach, Tomatoes)
How to Fill Your Stromboli
Above you’ll find a helpful visual guide on how to layer your ingredients for your Stromboli.
Start with your sauce first, then meats, then cheese.
Add a thin layer of each ingredient and be careful to not overfill it, otherwise the dough might not seal properly and you’ll have some spillage when baking.
You also want to make sure to leave some space on the outside edges so that the ingredients don’t spill out when you roll it up.
How to Fold a Stromboli
After filling your Stromboli, it’s time to fold it up into a log like you would with cinnamon rolls.
One easy trick I’ve found is laying my Stromboli on parchment paper and then using the paper to help me fold.
Start on one end and tightly roll your Stromboli up, working slowly one end to the other end.
Fold the edge and gently crimp it together to seal it, and place your Stromboli seam side down on your baking sheet.
Prepare for Baking
Lastly, create an egg wash mixture and brush evenly on top of your Stromboli logs with a pastry brush.
Sprinkle with shredded parmesan, as desired, and using a knife, create 4-5 small slits which will help release the steam when baking.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until your Stromboli is perfectly light golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting with a serrated knife.
Serve with marinara sauce or ranch and enjoy!
Try my Delicious and Easy Homemade Stromboli for dinner! It’s made with a simple 2-ingredient pizza dough, and filled with pepperoni, salami, and mozzarella cheese. So yummy and easy to make in under 30 minutes time.
2-Ingredient Pizza Dough
- 2 cups Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 cups Self-Rising Flour*
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 12 slices Italian salami
- 16–18 slices Pepperoni
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- shredded parmesan, for sprinkling on top
- Prepare this 2-Ingredient Pizza Dough, as directed and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out each dough ball into a large rectangle and place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread pizza sauce on the dough leaving 1/2 inch of edges free of toppings.
- Top with salami layer, pepperoni layer, and any additional meat layers, and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Starting on one end, tightly roll into a log. Fold the edge and gently crimp it together to seal it, and place your Stromboli seam side down on your baking sheet.
- Prepare your egg wash by combining egg, water, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl. Brush evenly on the top of your Stromboli with a pastry brush and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting slices with a serrated knife.
- Serve with marinara, ranch, or your favorite sauce and enjoy!
*3 cups is the general amount recommended for making the pizza dough, but depending on the humidity/weather you might need to use a little less or a little more. You want your dough to still be slightly tacky/pliable so don’t overdo it on the flour.
Keywords: homemade stromboli, stromboli, easy stromboli, stromboli recipe, easy stromboli recipe, stromboli with pizza dough, 2 ingredient pizza dough recipe
More Italian Recipes You’ll Love:
How do you store leftover Stromboli?
After baking and letting your Stromboli cool, slice, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How do you reheat Stromboli?
This homemade Stromboli re-heats up wonderfully either in the oven or even in the microwave.
To reheat in the oven, place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 325 for 10-15 minutes.
To reheat in the microwave, place 2-3 servings on a plate and microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until warm.
Can you freeze homemade Stromboli?
Yes! I recommend cutting your Stromboli logs into individual slices, and place into a freezer-safe bag or container.
Place in the freezer for up to 1 month, and when ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as directed above.
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for my Easy Homemade Stromboli Recipe with 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough! Do you love Stromboli too? Have you ever made it homemade? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post