You’ll love my easy, quick, crushed pineapple upside down cake made with a boxed yellow cake mix under 30 minutes! It’s made delicious with crushed pineapple, diced pineapple, and an irresistible butter and brown sugar glaze.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Crushed Pineapple
Happy Tasty Tuesday! This past weekend my husband and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary and as I always do every year I made my husband one of his favorite desserts.
This time I went with a classic (and his absolute favorite cake) pineapple upside down cake. It’s also one of my favorites, second to my Luscious Strawberry Pineapple Cake that is to die for!
My quick pineapple upside down cake with crushed pineapple is probably the best pineapple upside down cake you’ll ever eat and it’s SO easy to make!
It’s made with a simple boxed yellow cake mix, and has the most delicious brown sugar, vanilla, and crushed pineapple glaze, and pretty maraschino cherries on top. You’ll want to make this crushed pineapple upside down cake again and again!
Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Although I’ve always loved how a traditional pineapple upside down cake looks with the pretty sliced pineapples and maraschino cherries in the center, I gotta admit I’ve not always been a fan of it for practicality purposes.
I mean have you ever been SO excited to get a slice of pineapple upside down cake only to be extremely disappointed when you only got just a couple measly pieces of pineapple on your slice of cake?
I have. And let me tell you, it’s heartbreaking.
Now that I’m older, wiser, and have my own kitchen (aka I make my OWN rules haha) I’ve broken away from the traditional pineapple upside down cake recipe and made a couple changes for the better in my quick pineapple upside down cake.
How to Make The Best Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake EVER
- First off, to remedy the pineapple issue I double up on the pineapple by using both diced and crushed pineapple. Not only does this help ensure every person gets plenty of pineapple in every slice of cake, but it also keeps the cake nice and moist and full of delicious pineapple flavor.
- Second, I use a boxed yellow cake mix to keep things simple. I know, I know, so many people will try and tell you the only way you can have pineapple upside down cake is by making it from scratch, but honestly I think a boxed cake mix tastes better, and it saves time and hassle. I love using either Duncan Hines Classic Yellow or Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix.
- Third, I like making my pineapple upside down cake with crushed pineapple in two of these 8″x3″ round cake pans. Not only does this give you the perfect brown sugar and pineapple to cake ratio, but it’s perfect for making for family gatherings or potlucks. You can always take both cakes OR depending on the size of the crowd – take a cake and save the other pineapple upside down cake at home for later. (total win-win!)
- Fourth, I add my maraschino cherries on top AFTER baking. This makes it look super pretty and instead of muting the pineapple flavor that can sometimes happen when you bake the cherries in the batter, really enhances the flavor of the entire cake.
Must-Have Tools for Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
- 8″ x 3″ Round Cake Pans
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatulas
- Electric Hand Mixer
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Cooling Rack
- Cake Stand with Glass Lid
You’ll love my easy, delicious, and quick pineapple upside down cake with crushed pineapple. It’s made with a boxed yellow cake mix and double the pineapple in under 30 minutes!
- 1 box yellow cake mix, prepared as directed with exception noted below*
- 1/3 cup of butter, melted
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 20 oz can of pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 6 oz can of maraschino cherries, drained and stems removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark or nonstick pan)
- Spray 2 8″x3″ cake pans with non-stick spray and set aside. Open and drain both the pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple, reserving 1 cup of juice for the cake mix.
- In a microwave safe bowl or pot melt butter and add in brown sugar and vanilla. Place on stovetop on low-medium heat and stir for a minute or two until the brown sugar is well incorporated.
- Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture evenly into the bottom of the cake pans. Next begin scooping the crushed pineapple on top of the brown sugar mixture in the bottom of both cake pans and carefully spread. Top with pineapple tidbits.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare cake mix as directed on the box. The only exception is that you will use pineapple juice instead of water. Once prepared, pour cake batter evenly into the two cake pans, ensuring all the pineapple is covered.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes in pan. Next, place a plate or serving platter upside down on top of the cake pan and carefully turn over.
- If desired, garnish the top of the cake with maraschino cherries that have been drained, cut in half, and had stems removed.
- Let cake cool additional 20 minutes on cooling rack before serving or covering for later serving.
- Slice cake, top with whipped cream if desired, and enjoy!
- Use reserved pineapple juice instead of water in cake mix
- For optimal freshness, leftover cake should be refrigerated in a glass dome or covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated. It tastes great cold, but you can also reheat slices in the microwave, if desired.
Keywords: pineapple upside down cake, quick pineapple upside down cake, easy pineapple upside down cake, best pineapple upside down cake, pineapple cake, yellow cake mix, pineapple dessert, crushed pineapple upside down cake, pineapple upside down cake with crushed pineapple
Delicious Desserts to Try Next:
- Luscious Strawberry Pineapple Cake
- Peanut Butter Apple Crumb Pie
- The Best Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies
More Easy Desserts You’ll Love:
Hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for my Delicious, Easy, and Quick Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Crushed Pineapple! Do you love pineapple upside down cake too? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for stopping by! – Cara
Pin This Post